Do you feel Burping and/or Bloating? If it is regular, then you need to do something. Let us look into some common reasons for excessive Burping and Bloating.
Causes of Burping
When you eat food, drink water or talk a lot, you also swallow air. This excess air does not always reach your stomach but accumulates in the Esophagus. This happens especially when you eat or drink too fast, talk while you eat and drink carbonated drinks. Chewing Gum as well as sucking in Hard Candies also are causes.
Burping is also known as Belching and your body naturally expells excess air while you burp, from the upper digestive tract. Burping can also be due to Acid Reflux or Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).
Inflammation of the Stomach Lining or some Bacterial infection also can cause chronic Belching. Chronic Belching can sometimes be accompanied by symptoms such as Heartburn or Abdominal Pain.
Causes of Bloating
Bloating is what you feel when your stomach is full. You will feel as though your stomach is full even after Belching, passing gas or having a bowel movement. Bloating can be due to Anxiety or Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Indigestion also cause Bloating. It may happen during Menstrual period. You may be allergic to some food items. Liver disease also can be a cause for Bloating. Air may be swallowed along with liquid while drinking through a straw. Fatty food items and certain Masala Mixes can cause bloating.
Tips to reduce Belching/Burping
- Avoid food items that cause gas
- If you are intolerant to Lactose, try to consume Low-Lactose or Lactose-Free dairy products
- Reduce the consumption of Fatty Foods
- Many High-Fiber food items also produce gas. Avoid or reduce them
- For immediate effect, try products like Lactacid or similar after consulting with your doctor
Tips to reduce Bloating
- Tips mentioned for reducing Belching/Burping are applicable to Bloating also
- Do regular exercise and stay active
- Breakfast and dinner should not be skipped. Reduce the quantity of food for lunch
- Do not sit or lie down immediately after lunch or dinner. Instead walk for five to ten minutes. This will stimulate digestion.
- Avoid or limit the use of carbonated drinks
- Reduce the quantity of salt intake
- Have early dinner and if possible try to give at least two hours before going to bed
- Try natural remedies like Ginger, Peppermint, Chamomile and Pumpkin
Consult your doctor and take remedial action in case of regular or excessive Burping and/or Bloating. Do not resort to any actions, which can harm your health. One medicine suitable for a person may not be exactly applicable in other’s case.
Stay healthy and safe.