The Cheng Hoon Teng Temple is a Chinese Temple located in the Malacca City of Malaysia. It is also called as the Temple of Green Cloud, which practices the Three Doctrinal Systems of Buddhism, Confucianism and Taoism. Cheng Hoon Teng Temple is the oldest functioning temple in Malaysia.
The foundation of the temple was in the year 1645 by the Chinese Kapitan Tay Kie Ki alias Tay Hong Yong and additional structures were constructed in 1673. It was the main place of worship for the local Hoklo community. The construction and renovation of the temple was done by the Chinese Kapitans. In 2003, the temple was awarded a UNESCO award for outstanding architectural restoration. The temple covers an area of 4,600 square meters and has close proximity to the Kampung Mosque and Sri Poyatha Moorthi Temple. It is situated close to Jalan Tukang Emas.
The temple has a complex of many prayer halls with the larger (and main) prayer hall dedicated to the Goddess of Mercy Guan Yin. A seven-metre Red Flag-Pole facing the left wind of the main prayer hall is one of the main features of the temple. An Opera Theatre located across the road is a part of the temple complex.
Read more about the temple here
The information published here is only for public awareness and collected from various sources