Covid – 19 is an infectious disease caused by the Corona Virus – 2. It is also called Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Corona Virus – 2 (SARS CoV 2) – a worldwide epidemic, where people are panic and hence a pandemic. The whole world is affected by Covid-19 and this is a critical time everywhere.
Master Charaka who lived around 5000 years back, described about a worldwide epidemic in his book Charaka Samhita on a chapter named Janapadodhwamsaneeya. It is known as Janapadodhwamsa in Ayurveda. In that, Charaka says it is a great opportunity to be at home.
Ayurveda says, as long as we keep our Agni (digestive fire) strong, the illness will not happen to us. So, Ayurveda has a great way of prevention by a healthy lifestyle, how we can prevent being affected by coronavirus. Keep your Agni strong and for that follow your Dina Charya (Daily Routine). It is the first important thing that Ayurveda recommends boosting immunity. Here are some tips for you to keep yourselves fit and immune to diseases.
Dina Charya (Daily regimen which recommends by Ayurveda for healthy life)
- Wake up early in the morning: Express your gratitude towards God by some small prayers immediately after waking up (you can meditate 1-2 minutes and feel the surroundings and nature)
- Evacuation after waking up: You will feel the urge for urination and bowel evacuation. Wash your hands immediately after waking up and after evacuation. It helps to reduce the like hood diseases
- Drink one glass water by sipping
- Clean your teeth, massage the gum with fingers and clean your tongue. Splashing cold water into eyes helps to improve vision and reduce tension and tiredness of the eyes
- Nasya – Put 2 drops of sesame oil into each nostril every day in the morning and do deep inhalation. It helps to prevent diseases of eyes, nose, and ears
- Gandusha (ayurvedic mouth wash – oil pulling) with Coconut oil, sesame oil or warm water helps to prevent disorders of teeth
- Abhyanga – body massage with sesame oil or other medicated oil, helps to delay aging, reduce tiredness, prevents Neuro Musculo Skeletal disorders, improves eyesight, nourishes body, and improves sleep quality. It is necessary to apply oil on head, ears and below the feet every day.
- Exercise – you must do exercise according to your physical Ayurveda says to do exercise up to half of your physical capacity. After doing exercise, give slow massage to your body. Bath after massage – take 30 minutes rest and take a bath, it improves appetite, vigor and strength, removes dirt, and sweat
- Wear washed, clean cloth and do meditation for 20 minutes. Also do breathing exercise like Pranayama
- Do not skip breakfast
- Finish dinner 3 hours before sleep and talk about positive and happy things with friends and relatives. In Ayurvedic concept, mind and body are very much related. If we are worried too much, then our immune system and digestive fire will automatically be down. So, try to engage your mind with happy things.
- Meditate 10 minutes before sleep
- Sleep at a consistent time every night
According to Ayurveda, proper food (Keep minimum 5 hours gap between each meal. Dinner should be finished minimum 3 hours before sleep. After dinner, do very mild exercise for 20 minutes e.g. slow walking), proper sleep (our body and cells need proper rest), and proper exercise are necessary for good metabolism in our body. Only with these three, our immune system will be strong to fight against external factors.
Here are some simple Ayurvedic formulations, which help to boost our immunity (being used since thousands of years)
Drink herbal tea (ingredients, preparation, and usage)
- Tulsi (Basil) leaves – black variety – 15 to 20 leaves
- Pepper seeds – 10
- Dry ginger powder – 1 teaspoon
- Black Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Crush all ingredients together and boil in 150 ml of water. Once boiled well, put off the flame. Add ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder in it. Keep it aside for 5 minutes and then sieve and drink lukewarm once a day. If we you have symptoms of cold, drink it every 2 hours.
Gargle with salt water and a pinch of turmeric powder
Gargling with lukewarm salt water loosens excess mucus and removes bacteria and fungi from throat.
Kiratatikta (Andrographis Paniculata)
It has antiviral, immune stimulatory, antioxidant and hepatoprotective (Hepatoprotection or antihepatotoxicity is the ability of a chemical substance to prevent damage to the liver) effect. combinations like Sudarshana tablet, Febrojith tablet etc. are useful.
Chyavanaprasa or Indukantham Ghrutham
One teaspoon of these taken on empty stomach, followed by warm water boosts our immune system
Fruits and Vegetables
Add more fruits and vegetables in our diet, which is easy to digest and has more fibers
Indian gooseberry is a rich source of Vitamin C and exceptionally good for diabetes too – can make amla juice with 2 or 3 amla to drink every day.
Banana, Apple, Avocado and Orange
Use Banana, Apple, Avocado and Orange regularly.
It is extremely important to consult your doctor before changing your diet, starting an exercise, or starting any medicine. Never do things blindly following someone or based on some forward messages as it can be dangerous or produce different results for you.