Researchers have developed new Lego-like beams that could revolutionize the construction industry. At the Polytechnic University of Valencia (UPV), researchers have come up with and took patent for a new system for manufacturing beams. This according to them could revolutionize the architecture, construction and civil engineering sectors.
The new beams
The new technology beams they developed are with 3D Printed Plastic pieces and can be assembled like pieces of Lego Blocks. They have an added high-performance layer of concrete in the most compressed area.
The creators of the new beam claim several advantages like
- Up to 80% less weight compared to the concrete or metallic beams
- No heavy cranes or trucks are needed to transport them
- Savings on time and money on labor and materials
- Can be printed, installed and assembled anywhere
- Recycled plastic can be used as raw material and hence more sustainable
The development is the result of almost three years of research. They say the main novelty resides in the polymeric profile of the beam. The beam comprises of multiple longitudinal segments that can be assembled and concreted wherever you wish to install the structure.
Read the full report here, published by Techxplore.com on their website, dated 1st March 2021.