We have discussed about many things about stress in the series of articles and let us see what are the Symptoms of Stress in this one. You may be already familiar with the various symptoms. We can classify the symptoms into mainly four types – Physical, Mental, Behavioural and Emotional.
Physical Symptoms of Stress are those, that can be easily observed. They are like..
- Changes in Sleep Pattern – a person who normally use to sleep without any disturbances shows difficulties in sleep, can be undergoing some sort of stress
- Changes in Digestion – develops Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhoea
- Pain and Ache on different parts of the body – though it looks like muscular problems or gastric problems, some of the pains and aches can be due to stress also
- Dizziness, Faintness, Sweating, Trembling
- Tingling of Hands and Feet
- Breathlessness and Palpitation
- Missed Heartbeats
A person undergoing Stress may show Lack of Concentration, Memory Lapse, Confusion, Disorientation symptoms. He or she may show difficulties in making certain decisions. Also, the person might suffer from Panic Attacks.
One or more of the following Behavioural Symptoms can be observed in people suffering from Stress.
- Appetite Changes – may eat too much or too little
- Eating Disorders like Anorexia, Bulimia – Anorexia is an eating disorder characterized by an abnormally low body weight, intense fear of gaining weight and a distorted perception of weight. Bulimia is a serious, potentially life-threatening eating disorder. People having Bulimia may eat large amount of food with a loss of control over their eating. They then purge to get rid of the extra calories in an unhealthy way
- Take alcohol or drugs in an increased quantity
- Increased Smoking habit, Restlessness, Nail-Biting
- Fidgeting and Hypochondria – Fidgeting is making small movements of hands and feet through nervousness or impatience. Hypochondria is abnormal chronic anxiety of one’s health. Such people may feel that a simple sneezing is the sign of having some horrible disease
Persons showing Emotional Symptoms of Stress can have Bouts of Depression. They may show Impatience and Irritability, Fits of Rage, Tearfulness. They may also show signs of deterioration in personal hygiene and appearance.
We will look into Stress related Diseases and Illness in the next article.
Disclaimer: Information provided here are gathered from various sources and reproduced for public awareness. Always consult a doctor if you happen to show one or more of these symptoms. Never attempt to carryout self diagnosis and remedies which can be harmful to your health.
Stay healthy and stay Stress-Free to enjoy the life in its fullest.